Scholarships and Grants
What are the kinds of scholarships available?
Some are merit-based:
1. Earned by meeting or surpassing specific standards set by the scholarship
2. May be awarded based on academic achievement or a combination of academics
and extracurricular interest/activitiesSome are based on financial needFAFSA is important to determine these, follow the link for What is FAFSA?Many are targeted toward a certain group of peopleex: women, high school seniorsSome are available because of where or your parent(s) work
ex: scholarships for military families
A scholarship could pay for all of the tuition or be a one-time award of a few hundred dollars. Either way, applying for scholarships is worth your time because it will ultimately reduce the cost of your education.
How do I find a scholarship?
1. Contact financial aid at the schools you plan on attending
2. Talk to your guidance counselor at your school
3. You do not need to pay to find financial aid or scholarshipsBe careful:
Never give out credit card or bank account information unless you are positive the organization is legitimateYou can find a list of available scholarships on the US Department of Labor website: click here
Scholarships Specific to PittsburghPittsburgh Foundation Scholarship Search: Use this page to find scholarships that match your needs
Sam & Tamara Davis Family Scholarship
- Residency in the city of Pittsburgh continuously since the beginning of 9th grade
- Enrollment in a PPS high school or approved charter continuously since the beginning of 9th grade
- Minimum of a 2.5 unweighted, cumulative GPA
- 90% attendance rate
- Follow link for application: http://pittsburghpromise.org/the-scholarship/apply
The Sam & Tamara Davis Family Scholarship honors the life of Sam Davis and Tamara Davis, and most importantly honors and acknowledges the unique circumstances of young people who have a parent with a permanent mental or physical disability; and/or who are raised in single adult households. Scholarship awards range between $577-$1557.
Pennsylvania State Grant Documents and Forms1. Must be a Pennsylvania resident2. High school graduate3. Enrolled as either part-time or full-time student4. Enrolled in a program that is at least 2 years long5. Enrolled in a program where at least 50% of credits needed to graduate is earned through classroom instruction6. Complete at least 50% of credits or hours in a classroom7. Have not already received a bachelors degreeLinks: