Pittsburgh Public Schools Magnet Information
Magnet schools and programs allow students to pursue special interests, talents or career goals. Magnet schools are not neighborhood specific, so students who reside anywhere in the Pittsburgh Public School District can apply to attend.The magnet application period for the 2018-2019 school year opened on September 18, 2017.
- Applications for the magnet lottery were due by 5 pm Friday, December 8.
- Applications to Pittsburgh CAPA were due by 5 pm Wednesday, October 25.
We are now accepting applications for post lottery registration, for students to be accepted in to magnet programs that have vacancies remaining after the magnet lottery, or for students to be added to existing waiting lists.
Check back starting on January 22nd to see which magnet programs have available space and to view waiting list lengths. This information will be available and updated throughout the post lottery period.
Current PPS students can complete a post lottery application online, using the link below. Students who are new to PPS must utilize a paper application, available by clicking on the "External Magnet Applicants" option at the log-in screen.
Post lottery applications are processed on a first come, first served basis and are accepted through September 15, 2018 for the 2018-19 school year.
Once a student enrolls in a magnet school, he/she is expected to remain in the program for at least one school year. Midyear transfers or withdrawals from magnet programs are not granted. The deadline to withdraw is September 15.
Students in magnet programs must meet the following requirements in order to remain in the school/program. Students who do not meet these requirements may be returned to their assigned school at year’s end.
Pittsburgh Public Schools Magnet Programs
- All students must maintain a 90% attendance rate.
- Students in grades 6-12 may not receive more than one 4-10 day suspension, or more than 6 total days of suspension per year.
- Students in grades 9-12 must maintain a 2.0 GPA.
Click on each school name to access their website, with information including the school description, address, phone number, and principal.
- Allderdice High School, Pre-Engineering
- Allegheny K-5, Traditional Academy
- Allegheny 6-8, Traditional Academy
- Brashear High School, Teaching Academy
- CAPA 6-12, Creative and Performing Arts
- Carmalt PreK-8, Science & Technology
- Classical 6-8, Classical Academy
- Dilworth PreK-5, Traditional Academy
- Fulton PreK-5, French Emphasis
- Liberty K-5, Spanish Emphasis
- Linden K-5, Mandarin Emphasis
- Milliones University Prep, University Focus
- Montessori PreK-5, Montessori Method
- Obama Academy of International Studies, International Baccalaureate
- Perry High School, Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps (JROTC) & STEAM
- Phillips K-5, Spanish Emphasis
- Schiller 6-8, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics)
- Science & Technology Academy (SciTech), Science & Technology
- Sterrett 6-8, Classical Academy
- Woolslair PreK-5, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics)