English as a Second Language (ESL)English as a Second Language (ESL) is an instructional program for students whose dominant language is not English. The purpose of the program is to increase the English language proficiency of eligible students while simulateously providing important content knowledge.
Features of the ESL Program:
- ESL instruction is offered in grades K-12
- ESL students receive one to three ESL classes, depending on their English proficiency level
- ESL students also attend math, science, social studies and other general education classes
- The ESL program provides total English immersion for students
- ESL students are given the support needed to effectively adjust to American culture
- ESL classes are an individualized, student-centered learning environment
ESL is guided by standards that promote both English language development and acquisition of academic content.
There are a number of wonderful local resources available to the immigrant, international, and linguistically diverse communities.