The Pittsburgh Public Schools Early Childhood Education Department provides children, birth to five, with a comprehensive program designed to reinforce and respond to the unique strengths and needs of each individual child and family. The fee for the Early Childhood Program is $6,500.00 per academic year. Depending on your family income you may qualify for a Head Start or State funded scholarship. In most cases, these scholarships cover all of the costs.
IF YOUR CHILD IS CURRENTLY ENROLLED, YOU DO NOT NEED TO RE-APPLY YEARLY
- To enroll a child who is 3 or 4 years of age, please complete the online Early Childhood application by clicking the link above. Please do not use this application to apply for enrollment in the 2023-24 school year. During the lottery period (February 1 - March 24), all children applying must be 3 years old by September 30.
- If you are applying after the lottery period and/or your child turns 3 years old after September 30, you can still apply as we continue to accept applications on a rolling basis as space is available. If no space is available, your child will be placed on the waitlist.
- If your child turns 5 years old on or before September 30, you will need to apply for Kindergarten at your neighborhood school based on your home address. With the exception of Kindergarten Magnet Programs, Kindergarten applications are NOT available online. Registration for Kindergarten Magnet Programs generally occurs annually in November.
- If you have additional questions about the Preschool Program for children ages 3 and 4, please call the Early Childhood Main Office at (412) 529-4291 (select Option 2) or review our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.
- To enroll your child in the Early Head Start Program for children under 3 years of age, please call (412) 529-8020 or (412) 529-8029.
- A complete list of Early Childhood Program locations is available at Discover PPS.
*The application period to apply for Montessori Pre-K is February 1 - March 24, 2023
Quick Links for Enrollment
Schools and Programs
Please call the Early Childhood Main Office at (412) 529-4291 (select Option 2) For more information about the Preschool Program