The Pittsburgh Public Schools Early Childhood Education Department provides children, birth to five, with a comprehensive program designed to reinforce and respond to the unique strengths and needs of each individual child and family. The fee for the Early Childhood Program is $6,500.00 per academic year. Depending on your family income you may qualify for a Head Start or State funded scholarship. In most cases, these scholarships cover all of the costs.
IF YOUR CHILD IS CURRENTLY ENROLLED, YOU DO NOT NEED TO APPLY TO THE 2022-23 SCHOOL YEAR
The LOTTERY APPLICATION PERIOD will run from February 15 - March 30, 2022. Letters of qualification or seat reservation will be emailed to families by May 16th. Any Student not selected in the lottery will be placed as space becomes available. Any applications received after March 30th at 4PM will still be processed, but NOT INCLUDED in the lottery for 2022-2023 school year.
- To enroll a child who is between 3-5 years old, please complete the online Early Childhood application by clicking the link below. During the lottery window, all children applying must be 3 years old by September 30.
- If you are applying after the lottery window and/or your child turns 3 years old after September 30, you can still apply. However, your child may be placed on the waitlist until a space becomes available.
Quick Links for Enrollment
- If your child turns 5 years old on or before September 30, you will need to apply for Kindergarten at your neighborhood school based on your home address. Kindergarten applications are NOT available online.
- To enroll your child in the Early Head Start Program for children under 3 years of age, please call (412) 529-8020.
- You can find a full list of Early Childhood Program locations at Discover PPS
Schools and Programs
Please call the Early Childhood Main Office at (412) 529-4291 (select Option 2) For more information about the Preschool Program