We are sorry to hear that you are leaving your position with the Pittsburgh Public Schools. In order to ensure proper completion and submission of your Separation and Severance information, please view the information below to process your separation.
- Non-Professional Employees - 2 weeks notice
- Non-Tenured Professional Employees - 4 weeks notice
- Tenured Professional Employees - 60 days notice (as mandated by the PA School Code)
- Complete the Separation and Severance Notification form.
- If you are a certificated professional and would like to transfer up to 25 unused sick days to another PA school district, you must indicate your request to transfer days in the separation survey, otherwise the days will be paid out in severance.
- Remember that you will lose your system access (email, computer, etc) on your separation date, so please plan ahead to manage your assignments and information accordingly.
- If you are interested in applying for a position with Pittsburgh Public Schools post-separation, you will need to use the personal email address you submit in your separation form to login to the District’s applicant tracking system, Hire Enterprise.
- Please turn in all building/office keys, ID badge, computer equipment, Board cell phone, and any other school district property to your immediate supervisor.
- The Employee Benefits Office will send you a letter advising what will happen with your medical and dental benefits.
- Be sure to contact the Public School Employee Retirement System (PSERS) regarding any benefits that may be available (1-888-773-7748 or 412-920-2014).
- If you are retiring, most retirement benefits are processed within 4 to 6 weeks after PSERS receives all of the following information: Completed application, date of termination, last salary and service as reported from your employer after your separation date. Additional information about processing times can be found on PSERS website.
- Pittsburgh Public Schools defines severance as the payout of unused sick, personal, and vacation days upon separating from the District.
- Please review the severance article in your collective bargaining agreement for specifics regarding eligibility and severance calculations.
- If you are a certificated professional with more than the 25 sick days allowed for transfer to another PA school district, any additional days will be paid out as severance.
- If you are a member of the Building & Construction Trades, Pittsburgh Administrators Association, or a PFT Represented Teacher or Other Professional and your severance payment is more than $500, then you will need to open a 403(b) account with Rick Stellfox at Kades-Margolis Investments (1-800-433-1828 or 724-743-4022).
- If you are applying for a severance payout, it will take 6 to 8 weeks to receive the severance payment. Unless your circumstances require a 403(b), your payment will be deposited in the same account as your final paycheck.
- If you are a member of the Riverset Credit Union, please wait to change your deposit information until after you receive your severance payment.
If you have questions about completing the Separation Notification form, your benefits, or severance, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 412-529-4537. Your inquiry will be directed to the staff member best able to assist you.