Welcome to Pittsburgh Public Schools Athletics Department
Athletic participation provides healthy, supervised after-school activities for students in a safe and positive environment. Students who participate in athletics have been shown to have higher grade point averages, better attendance, lower dropout rates, fewer disciplinary problems and higher graduation rates. Participation in athletics teaches teamwork, goal setting, discipline, sportsmanship, leadership, and other valuable life-skills.
ATHLETIC OFFICE PHONE NUMBER - 412-529-2222
MS Basketball Champions
Girls - Obama Academy
Boys - Colfax
Congratulations to both teams for an outstanding season!
Pittsburgh City League Basketball Championships - February 23, 2019 - Petersen Events Center
Girls Game 12 pm
Boys Game 2 pm
WINTER WEATHER PROCEDURE
The following is the procedure that will be followed regarding Athletics during the winter sports season:
- If the School District has a 2-hour delay the Athletic Office continues with the scheduled games and or practices for that day. Principals have the discretion in regards to cancelling practices only at their respective shool on two hour delay days. Athletics will consult with the Transportation Department, Facilities and School Police to determine the best practice on a given day regarding additional weather and the contests.
- If school is cancelled for weather, ALL City League contests and all non-league contests played at home venues (schools) are postponed until the next available date that is feasible. The Athletic Office will determine the rescheduled date.
- If school is cancelled for weather and a school is playing a non-league contest or tournament outside of the city and the school they are playing is still hosting the contest the schools have been permitted to play. This decision is left to the discretion of the building Principal and staff. (usually only occurs at the high school level)
- If the School District dismisses school early, after the school day has started, due to weather, the Athletic Office will cancel ALL City League contests and the third provision will apply for non-league contests.
- If the School District cancels all after school activities and there are athletic contests the Athletic Department will collaborate with the Transportation Department and the Operations Office to determine if the contests will continue on that day. If there is only practice scheduled that day at your school then the practices are
If there is any doubt on the day of a contest because of weather please email or call the Athletic Office or check the School District Athletic Page and Twitter account.
Follow us on Twitter @PGHCityLeague
Arsenal MS has cancelled their swim team for the 2018-2019 season.
2018-2019 HS Athletic Manager Contact Information - click here2018-2019 Championships Dates - click herePPS High School Ticket Prices click hereAthletics Manual click here