What Does PBIS Look Like in A School?
It looks like many students are being recognized for doing the respectful, responsible, and safe thing. Although comments will vary, depending on the students’ ages and abilities, PBIS may sound like a teacher saying these things:
- I like how you are being respectful and waited your turn instead of shouting out the answer.
- Good job sitting down as soon as the bell rang – way to be responsible.
- Nice work completing that assignment on time!
- Thanks for working quietly when we had a classroom visitor.
- You’re doing a great job of staying organized.
You’ll hear similar comments anywhere on school grounds— on the playground, in the cafeteria, in the halls, or on the bus. For example:
- Glad to see you’re not pushing and shoving in line – way to be safe!
- Thanks for keeping your hands and feet to yourself.
- I’m glad you threw that trash in the wastebasket.
- You helped to clean up that spill! Thank you!
- You made a good decision to talk to an adult about that problem. You made a good decision to talk to an adult about that problem.