Magnet Eligibility Criteria
A guide to program specific eligibility
Some magnet programs have eligibility criteria that students must meet. This criteria is outlined in the District’s Administrative Regulation that sets guidelines for magnet schools and programs. All applicants must meet this criteria in order to be considered for admission.
- Language Proficiency
- Students applying to a language magnet program for Grades 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 11, and 12 must pass a language proficiency test in the emphasized language at that school. (At K-2, 6th, and 9thgrade, students can enter in to the language program with no prior language experience.)
- Tutoring is provided in the spring to children in Grades 3-5 applying to a language magnet program.
- Applicants are considered for admission via the magnet lottery, but acceptance and enrollment is dependent on successful completion of the proficiency exam.
- Pittsburgh CAPA
- All applicants must submit an essay explaining their interest in the particular arts area to which they are applying (specific instructions are included in the online application).
- All applicants must also submit an artistic recommendation form, completed by an adult who can attest to their artistic skill and background, as well as a guidance counselor authorization form (specific instructions are included in the online application).
- Applicants participate in an audition process or submission of a portfolio prior to the year in which they are applying for entrance. The audition is scored on a rubric and determines the applicant’s status (accepted, waitlisted or not accepted).
- Pittsburgh Sci-Tech
- All applicants must submit an essay along with their application in order for it to be considered complete (specific instructions are included in the online application).
- All accepted students must attend a parent orientation. Dates and times of orientation sessions will be shared with accepted students in January.
- Pittsburgh Allderdice Pre-Engineering, Brashear Teaching Academy, Sci-Tech, and Obama
- All applicants to Allderdice, Brashear, Sci-Tech and Obama must have performed at least basic on their most recent PSSA exam (spring 2017 test) in order to be considered for admission via the lottery
- All applicants to Allderdice, Brashear and Obama must also have a 2.5 GPA in their core academic classes in order to be considered for admission via the lottery.
- For students new to Pittsburgh Public Schools, evidence must be submitted with the application in order for a student to be determined as eligible. The online application includes prompts for uploading documentation including a transcript and/or report card.
- Language Proficiency
Quick Links for EnrollmentGeneral Resources
Neighborhood School Search
What Documents Do I Need?
What are Central Support Clerks?
General Magnet FAQ
Opportunity Scholarship Tax Credit (OSTC) Academic ProgramsSchools and Programs
Magnet Registration Guide
CAPA Registration Guide
Magnet Options and Offerings
Career and Technical (CTE) Programs