To ensure the safety and security of our students and staff and the orderly operation of the Pittsburgh Public Schools, all visitors to our schools during the school day are required to follow the district's visitor procedures. Please take time to review the visitation procedures.
(Independent volunteers will already have a badge and will not have to turn in their photo ID or car keys)
- If you are planning to visit a classroom or other area of the school building during the school day, you should call the building office and pre-register for an appointment prior to the date of the visit. Absent an emergency, requests to meet with a classroom teacher or other staff member should be made at least 48 hours in advance to allow the school sufficient time to make arrangements for substitute coverage, as necessary.
- Upon arrival at the school building, all visitors must register in the building office before proceeding to any other part of the building.
- As part of the registration process in the front office, all visitors will be asked to sign the visitor register and provide their driver's license or other state-issued photo-identification, which will be held by the building office for the duration of the visit. Car keys may be accepted in lieu of a driver's license or photo ID at the discretion of the building office.
- Once registered, the visitor will be issued a Visitor Identification Badge, which must be displayed at all times while the visitor remains in the school building or on school premises.
- Visitors must remain in approved areas only and at all times act in a manner appropriate to the safe functioning of the school environment. Any individual who engages in uncooperative or disruptive behavior will be required to leave the premises.
- Upon conclusion of the visit, the visitor must return to the building office, sign out on the Visitor Register and return the visitor badge. Once the visitor has checked out, the building office will return the visitor's driver's license, ID or keys, as applicable.
The District reserves the right to deny an individual entry to any school building, when there is reason to believe that such individual's presence would be detrimental to the operation of the school and the learning environment.