External Data Requests and Research Partnerships
Thank you for your interest in working with Pittsburgh Public Schools (PPS). PPS welcomes the opportunity to work with outside researchers and organizations to conduct studies within our District. Studies may take the form of:
- Partnering with PPS on a data research project that meets our District's strategic priorities, whereby data is requested, analyzed, and findings are documented and presented back to the District
- Partnering with District staff to conduct new data collection research projects. These studies may involve interaction with schools to conduct interviews, surveys, or other data collection medium
- Partnering with PPS to conduct a combination study that involves data sharing and data collection
Data Request & Research Guidelines
The needs of our students, families and staff always comes first. Because PPS receives many requests for research partnerships, there is not a guarantee that all requests will be approved. Approval is based on District need for the request, reality of information requested, and general timing and availability of staff and/or schools to partner with the organization.
Research requests must:
- Promote PPS goals and initiatives
- Provide tangible benefit to our students and/or policies
- Conclude with feedback to PPS regarding outcomes and proposed action
Research requests must not
- Disrupt the work of the students, teachers or administrators
- Compromise the privacy of our students and families
- Begin before a request has been approved and the proper paperwork executed
Next Steps & Timelines
External data requests and research proposals will only be accepted for review and approval if submitted via the External Research Request Form (coming soon).
Data requests are reviewed every two weeks. Approval is based on data availability as well as alignment to PPS goals and priorities.
Once a request is received, you may be contacted to help PPS better understand the request and to discuss any outstanding questions. You may also be requested to attend the next data review meeting (in person or by phone) to further discuss your proposal with the review board.
If approved, PPS staff will contact you regarding next steps for required documentation, detailed data specifications and estimated timeframe for delivery.
PPS will also pair you with a data liaison to help support your work. This individual will answer process and questions. The District liaison will also be your source for coordinating feedback to PPS once the project completes.
Data collection requests involving research to be done within schools, or studies conducted directly with staff and administrators, are reviewed once a month. Approval is based on alignment to PPS goals and priorities, as well as overall District bandwidth to undertake the proposal.
Once a request is received, you may be contacted to help PPS better understand the request. You may also be requested to attend the next data review meeting (in person or by phone) to further discuss your proposal with the review board.
If approved, PPS staff will contact you regarding required documentation and detailed next steps.
We will also pair you with a process and data liaison who will act as your District contact and will assist in the logistics and overall planning of your work. Your District liaison will also assist with any process or data questions, and will be your source for coordinating feedback to PPS once the project completes.