Collective BargainingThe Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers (PFT) represents the following employee groups: Teachers and other Professional Employees, Paraprofessionals and Technical-Clerical employees. Five-year Collective Bargaining agreements for all three groups expired June 30, 2015. Since June 30, 2015, the District and the PFT have engaged in a collective bargaining process using the following over-arching goals to shape the process and advance the District’s work:
- To engage in a bargaining process that is respectful, professional and not disruptive to the education of children or the confidence of the community.
- To advance the goal of making the Pittsburgh School District fiscally sound, academically strong and one of first choice for students, families, teachers and other staff.
On May 18, 2016, the Board approved two-year extensions of collective bargaining agreements for the District’s 2,244 Teachers and Professional Employees, 568 Paraprofessionals and 20 Technical-Clerical employees. Members of the Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers voted to ratify the extensions on May 16, 2016.
The administration and PFT did not reach an agreement on negations after the interim two-year agreement expired in June 2017. Negotiations continued through June 30, 2017, still with no agreement made, which prompted an objective third-party Fact Finding process, completed by a neutral fact-finder appointed by the Pennsylvania Labor Relations Board in October.News ReleasesNovember 10, 2017
News Release: Statements from Superintendent Dr. Anthony Hamlet and Board President Dr. Regina Holley Regarding Board Adoption of The PA Labor Relations Board Fact-Finding Report
July 3, 2017
Pittsburgh Public Schools to Continue Bargaining with Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers
Previous tentative agreements. (Expired June 2017)
- Agreement Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers Local 400 for Teachers and Other Professional Employees
- Agreement Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers Local 400 for ParaProfessionals
- Agreement Pittsburgh Federation of Teachers Local 400 for Technical Clerical
Collective Bargaining Agreements through 2015 (PDF Versions)