NewsApril 25, 2012 - Board Directs Superintendent to Work with PFT to Develop Improved Teacher Furlough ProcessMar 27, 2012 - The Pittsburgh Promise Scholarship Fund Receives Support from Customer Donation Program...December 21, 2011 - Save the Date: Career Ladder Applications Open January 9, 2012September 1, 2011 - Pennsylvania's Second Largest School District Makes AYP Twice in Three YearsSeptember 7, 2011 - U.S. Secretary of Education Visits the Teaching Institute at Pittsburgh King...September 15, 2011 - The Pittsburgh Promise Reports Gains...August 10, 2011 - Gains on 11 of 14 State Exams Show More Students Are on the Pathway to the Promise
Select Media Coverage
May 22, 2012 - Protect our most effective teachersApril 29, 2012 - Protect our best teachers in the city schoolsApril 28, 2012 - Union says teachers won't give up seniorityApril 27, 2012 - Pittsburgh teachers won't change layoffs by seniorityApril 26, 2012 - Seniority Still a Splinter Issue in AFT DistrictsApril 26, 2012 - School board wants end to seniority-based layoffsMarch 5, 2012 - Pittsburgh students surveyed in teaching planFebruary 23, 2012 - Pittsburgh Public Schools gets $1 million Heinz grantDecember 24, 2011 - Pennsylvania lands $41 million grant to help evaluate teachersNovember 14, 2011 - Making the Grade: Pittsburgh schools improving, advocacy group saysNovember 16, 2011 - A+ Schools: Achievement Gap ClosingJune 9, 2011 - New program will focus on Pittsburgh teachers" skillsApril 25, 2011 - Programs seek teacher pay system that worksApril 18, 2011 - Program gets Pittsburgh students ready for PromiseApril 9, 2011 - City teachers set to start new roles to be more effective
Communities for Teaching Excellence (C4TE)
- Seniority and Implications for Teaching Effectiveness & Equity, Communities for Teaching Excellence, 2012.
- Making it Meaningful: Building a fair Evaluation System, Communities for Teaching Excellence, 2011.
- Teaching Effectiveness: The Beginning of a Movement, Communities for Teaching Excellence, 2011.
Measures of Effective Teaching (MET) Project
- Working with Teachers to Develop Fair and Reliable Measures of Effective Teaching, The MET Project, 2010.
TNTP (formerly The New Teacher Project)
Educators For Excellence (E4E)
- Teacher Experience: What Does the Research Say?, TNTP, 2012.
- The Case Against Quality-Blind Teacher Layoffs, TNTP, 2011.
- A Smarter Teacher Layoff System, TNTP, 2010.
Harvard University, Columbia University, and NAtional Bureau of Economic Research (NBER)
- Keeping Our Best Teachers: An Alternative To Seniority-Based Layoffs, Educators 4 Excellence, 2011.
Mathematica Policy Research Inc.
- The Long-Term Impacts of Teachers: Teacher Value-added and Student Outcomes in Adulthood, Raj Chetty and John N. Friedman, Harvard University and NBER, Jonah E. Rockoff, Columbia University and NBER, National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper No. 17699, December, 2011.
- Value-Added Models for the Pittsburgh Public Schools, Mathematica Policy Research, Inc., 2012.
Pennsylvania Department of Education
- Teacher Effectiveness Pilot II, Pennsylvania Department of Education, 2011.