Paying for College
As costs continue to rise, planning how to finance a degree has become a more prominent part of the college application process.
The Pennsylvania Student Aid Guide is interactive. As you go through it, use the links to get more in-depth information:
- Learn how to qualify for grants and scholarships and other "free" aid that you don't need to repay.
- Get information on work-study programs that allow you to earn money to help cover your education costs.
- Understand the types of loans available for you and your parents to help pay for your education.
- Find a variety of career options and salary information to give you an idea of the possibilities that the future holds.
- Access checklists, timelines, applications, and forms that you need to apply for and receive financial aid.
The FSA ID is a username and password combination you use to log in to U.S. Department of Education (ED) online systems. The FSA ID is your legal signature and shouldn’t be created or used by anyone other than you—not even your parent, your child, a school official, or a loan company representative. You’ll use your FSA ID every year you fill out a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) form and for the lifetime of your federal student loans.
FAFSA is the free application for federal student aid. Every student should file a FAFSA. This one application is used by colleges, career colleges, and technical/trade schools to apply for all forms of financial aid. The FAFSA provides family with than expected family contribution which is used by institutions to determine eligibility for aid. Some scholarship programs will ask for your EFC to determine eligibility for scholarship monies as well. The FAFSA is filed after October 1 of the student’s senior year.
Federal Student Aid
This is the website from the Federal Student Aid office of the US Department of Education. The website is packed with information organized into 5 areas: preparing for college, types of aid, qualifying for aid, applying for aid, and managing my loans. The website is available in English and Spanish.