Health Checklist for Parents and Students
For All Parents and Students:
For Parents Who Have Students with a Health Concern:
- Make sure immunizations are up-to date.
- Review hygiene tips to prevent the spread of infections.
- Establish a bedtime and wake-up time to ensure adequate and consistent sleep.
- Develop a routine for homework and after school activities.
- Eat breakfast each day at home or at school.
- Help make appropriate clothing choices (for example: wear comfortable and safe shoes)
- Keep an open line of communication with your child to ensure that he/she remains safe at schools. If a concern arrises, such as bullying, contact the appropriate school officials immediately.
- Get involved! Sign up for the parents organization (PTA/PTO), school Wellness Committee, and mark events such as back-to-school night and parent/teacher meetings on the calendar.
- Make your child's health concern known to the school and school nurse.
- Introduce yourself and your child to the school nurse.
- Bring current signed healthcare provider orders to the school nurse.
- Develop an individualized healthcare plan or other educational plans as needed (for example: 504, IEP) together with the school nurse and other appropriate school officials.
- Give permission for the school nurse to communicate with your family's healthcare provider by signing a release form.
- Provide parent/guardian contact information and update the school with any changes.
- Confirm the school's disaster/emergency plan. Make sure your child has his/her medication and/or medical devices (for example: EpiPen, asthma inhalers, insulin, etc.).
- Allegheny County Health Department (ACHD) Website
- Immunizations Walk-in Clinic & Travel Immunizations (ACHD)
- Address: 425 First Avenue, 4th Floor (entrance is on Cherry Way), Pittsburgh, PA 15219
- Phone: (412) 578-8062
- Hours of Operation: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Wednesday: 1 to 8 p.m.