Volunteering in Pittsburgh Public Schools
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Pittsburgh Public Schools (PPS)! We appreciate the added support our many dedicated volunteers provide to our schools and students.
Volunteering for the First Time at PPS?
In accordance with State law, the District has adopted a Volunteer Clearance Policy. These requirements are in effect for all volunteers.Prior to volunteering at a school or on a school trip, a volunteer must complete and submit the following to their child’s school:
- In-Take Form for volunteers
- PA State Criminal History Report (obtained online; cost: FREE for volunteers)
- Child Abuse Certification (obtained online; cost: FREE for volunteers)
- The FBI Criminal History Report (fingerprinting required – FBI report apply online; Service Code 1KG6XN; Cost: $21.35 paid at the fingerprinting site) You can also apply via phone at 1-844-321-2101.
- A signed PA Resident Form AND Waiver Request can be submitted in lieu of this report if you have lived in PA for 10 consecutive years.
- When visiting the fingerprinting site, a valid ID must be presented. Acceptable forms of ID include, but are not limited to, a Valid Driver’s License, Military ID, Passport or US Visa.
- A TB test is also required to volunteer in PreK classrooms.
* There may be a fee if you have requested free clearances within 5 years.
** Ensure you request clearances through the PA Department of Education (PDE).
Already a volunteer at PPS?
If a parent or community member was previously cleared to volunteer prior to 2017, they must renew and submit their Pennsylvania Child Abuse, Pennsylvania Criminal History and their FBI Criminal History Report OR Pennsylvania Resident form and Waiver Request to your school or the Title Programs Office in order to be eligible to volunteer.
If you have questions, please see your school’s secretary or FACE coordinator. They can help you determine if you have all of the appropriate documentation to volunteer. Additionally, please refer to this flyer for more information.