How To Enroll for ESL in Pittsburgh Public Schools
Welcome to the ESL (English as a Second Language) Department of Pittsburgh Public SchoolsDoes your child:
- Speak a language other than English?
- Speak a language other than English at home?
- Have a first language other than English?
If so, he or she may qualify for English as a Second Language services, and our office can assist with the enrollment here in PPS. If you answer "YES" to any of the questions above, please call us at (412) 529-3516 or (412) 529-3620 to schedule an enrollment appointment. We will enroll your child in school and answer any questions about Pittsburgh Public Schools or the American education system in general.
We are located in the Oakland neighborhood of Pittsburgh, our address is:
341 S. Bellefield Avenue, Rooms 2/3,
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Here's a map of our offices.
Kindly bring the following things with you:
- Two Verifications of a Local Address (Bills, Bank Statements, Etc.)
- Proof of Birth (Birth Certificate, Passport, Baptismal Certificate)
- If available, any school records from your country or previous American school district
When you arrive, we will also administer a test to determine your child's English proficiency. In order to obtain an accurate reflection of their proficiency level, this test may take up to an hour. If ESL services are required, we will then discuss an appropriate placement.
Translated Enrollment Documents
ESL Regional CentersAt select schools, we offer concentrated language instruction for all ranges of English Language Learners. The ESL Regional Centers typically have many students learning English at a variety of levels. Your child will take ESL, Mathematics, Social Studies, Science, Physical Education, and related classes with other students. The teachers at these various locations have extensive experience with English Language Learners.If your child needs ESL services, we offer them at one of these Regional Centers:Elementary (K-5)Middle School (6-8)High School (9-12)
Transportation for ESL Students
- Transportation will be provided to elementary and middle school students who live more than 1.5 miles from their school.
- A letter with all of the bus details will be sent to you within 5-7 business days.
- High school students will receive transportation (a bus or bus pass) who live more than 2 miles from the school.