ATHLETIC OFFICE PHONE NUMBER - 412-529-2222Athletic participation provides healthy, supervised after-school activities for students in a safe and positive environment. Students who participate in athletics have been shown to have higher grade point averages, better attendance, lower dropout rates, fewer disciplinary problems and higher graduation rates. Participation in athletics teaches teamwork, goal setting, discipline, sportsmanship, leadership, and other valuable life-skills.ANNOUNCEMENTS:All Athletic Contests scheduled for January 12, 2018 will be played as scheduled.All High School Basketball Contests scheduled for January 12, 2018 will be played at 3:15 p.m. Varsity Only.MS Boys Basketball - CAPA at Greenfield - Roof Leak. Rescheduled for 1-12-18Congratulations to University Prep senior football player Dorian Jackson for continuing hs education and football career at Saint Francis University of Pa.Please be advised of the time change for the following high school girls basketball contests.
1-5-18 Allderdice at Brashear 3:15 p.m. Varsity/4:45 p.m. JV
1-9-18 Brashear at Obama Academy 6 p.m. Varsity Only
1-26-18 Brashear at Allderdice 6 p.m. Varsity OnlyThe following is the procedure that will be followed regarding Winter Weather and Athletics during the winter sports season:
- If the School District has a 2-hour delay the Athletic Office continues with the scheduled games and or practices for that day. Principals have the discretion in regards to cancelling practices only on two hour delay days. Athletics will consult with the Transportation Department to determine the best practice on a given day regarding additional weather as it relates to the athletic contests.
- If school is cancelled for weather, ALL City League contests and all non-league contests played at home venues (schools) are postponed until the next available date that is feasible. The Athletic Office will determine the rescheduled date.
- If school is cancelled for weather and a school is playing a non-league contest or tournament outside of the city and the school they are playing is still hosting the contest the schools have been permitted to play. This decision is left to the discretion of the building Principal and staff. This decision is based on safety and availability of transportation. (only occurs at the high school level)
- If the School District dismisses school early, after the school day has started, due to weather, the Athletic Office will cancel all City League contests and the third provision will apply for non-league contests.
- If the School District cancels all after school activities and there are athletic contests the Athletic Department will collaborate with the Transportation Department and the Operations Office to determine if the contests will continue on that day. If there is only practice scheduled that day at your school then the practices are cancelled.
If there is any doubt on the day of a contest because due to weather please call the Athletic Office or check the School District Athletic Page.
Manchester girls basketball will not field a team this season.2017 FALL CHAMPIONSCongratulations to the following teams for winning their respective sports fall championship:Allderdice for winning the City League Football Championship.Allegheny for winning the MS Flag Football Championship.Mifflin for winning the MS Girls Volleyball Championship.
Arsenal for winning the MS Boys Volleyball Championship.
Allderdice girls volleyball team for winning the District 8 tournament and qualifying for the PIAA volleyball tournament.Allderdice Boys and Girls teams for winning the High School Team Cross Country Championship. Senior Tavonne Davis broke the course record in the boys event.Colfax boys and girls teams for winning the Middle Grade Cross Country Championship.Brashear golfer Shane Woodhall for winning the golf tournament on October 3, 2017 at North Park Golf Course.Obama girls tennis players Indra Alagar (singles) and Jay Alagar and Sierra Henderson (doubles) for winning the girls singles and doubles titles.2017-2018 Championships Dates - click herePPS High School Ticket Prices click hereAthletics Manual click here